Monday, January 18, 2010

Grumpy

Okay, maybe I'm partly grumpy from being woken up at 3:30 am by my cranky kid, but I do think some of my grumpiness comes from this whole non-meat diet. I almost had a melt-down at Trader Joe's today as I looked at all the delicacies I once filled my cart with. I simply could not bring myself to purchase "meatless meatballs". On the DISC personality profile, it shows that I am a high "S" which basically means I do not like change. I think I always patted myself on the back for not eating that much meat because I rarely ate steak, hot dogs or hamburgers. But the truth is, I now realize, I ate A LOT. It came in the form of bits of proscuitto on pizza, a hint of pork in a dumpling, or the stock of a soup. As I write, beloved chicken recipes dance before my eyes.

This is going to be a difficult journey for me, but God has taught me there is much one can learn from difficult journeys. And I also need to put this in perspective. As I shed tears over pate and meat lasagne, there is a world of incomparable suffering out there. When we started this blog, Haiti was hit by an earthquake killing tens of thousands of people and leaving many injured and starving people behind. It's important to keep this perspective. Not that my trial is unworthy of mention, but that it cannot dominate my life. At some point, I have to stop whining.

--Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment