Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 4: Clothes Call

Last night, Nina asked (perhaps half-kiddingly) whether we should also make a point of wearing clothes that weren't made in sweatshops, etc. and are "cruelty-free." I thought about it and wondered whether we should also not eat food like strawberries that are picked by migrants in similarly horrible working conditions. I decided that you have to draw the line somewhere. Here's my rationalization: Working in a sweatshop might be horrible, but at least you could argue that the sweatshop worker's kids may have a better life. Maybe. But you can't do the same for pigs that are being slaughtered. If anything, their offspring's life will be even worse.

—Todd 

1 comment:

  1. I do disagree with Todd on this point. Citizen or not, fair working conditions have been a value in this country. We can't expect justice for ourselves and not for others. The clothing thing has always bugged me. I have tried to tackle the problem by shopping at thrift stores, local clothes swaps, and web sites like Etsy that sell handmade items. But I haven't stopped going to Target yet.

    ReplyDelete