Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 10: In Which the Co-Author "Accidentally" Ingests Pig


Yes, it's true. I had a power lunch at the Blue Water Grill today and there was jack squat on the menu for non-carnivore types. There was one item on the prix fixe I wasn't sure of: Harlot-shaped New England this or that. I asked and the waiter said it was fish. Fair enough. Fish is kosher under the new diet. I forgot that in the risotto portion there were "ribs." Completely forgot. I started eating it and saw strands of pig-flesh and then remembered. At that point, I could have delicately put the strands on the side of the plate and went about my business, I suppose, but I made a quick moral calculation: That pig will be no more alive if I don't eat it. Plus it looks very tasty. So, I ate probably 3 oz. of pork. I don't take that as permission to bail on this whole vegetarian thing though. The next time, I'll make sure it's a vegetarian meal. The only thing I saw there that fit that description was grilled cheese. Seemed kind of weird to get grilled cheese in a fancy restaurant like that, but next time I will. To make amends to Nina, I propose that she can indulge in one meat dish. Her birthday's in two days. Perfect!

—Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment