Monday, February 1, 2010

Re: Cholestrol

"The prospect of being hanged focuses the mind wonderfully" —Samuel Johnson

A few people who've read this blog have told me they were surprised that I have such high cholesterol. All I can say is, I'm surprised too. I'm not obese and I thought our diet was pretty decent, but I sort of always assumed I'd get my father's coronary genes, disregarding the 50% chance that I'd get my mother's sides cholestrol & diabetes combo. Then two years ago I went for a physical and got a cholestrol reading of 220. I freaked out a little, but my reaction was kind of perverse. I read Gary Taubes' book Good Calories, Bad Calories and concluded that carbohydrates were the real problem in the Western diet. So I began eating even more meat and opting for the sour cream on my burrito. Then last year I got a 240 and I realized that approach isn't working. So anyone who thinks I've jumped into this vegetarian thing lightly is mistaken. My new experiment is to eat a pretty-much vegan diet and run every day. Then in three months I'll check my number again. Is this a pain in the ass? Yes.

1 comment:

  1. If you don't have ENOUGH cholesterol in your diet your body will over produce it. Found that out the hard way.

    Red yeast rice is a natural statin and would probably lower your cholesterol beautifully.

    ReplyDelete